Friday, May 11, 2012

March Update

In March we celebrated a few things...of course St. Patrick's Day came and went.  We usually celebrate this holiday and this year we did it with more traditional food fare.  We had colcannon mashed potatoes, traditional irish soda bread and corned beef that I purchased from Sobey's (it is prepackaged and cooks in under an hour I think), I should have had peas, but we had carrots instead and a rainbow fruit salad.  It was fun a delicious meal.  We also had some green jello. 


 For dessert we had rainbow cupcakes.  A bit time intensive but so fun to eat.  The kids' loved these. 

As a rule I tell my kids that the only way to stay home from school is if they are really sick and in Megan's case I frequently tell her that she can only stay home if she throws up.  So after complaining of a stomach ache (which she frequently does everyday) she ate her breakfast then needed to use the washroom and on her way puked all over the floor.  She just stood there paralized not trying to get to the bathroom but rather just standing there making a huge, stinky mess on my floor.  Gross!  It is so lovely to have to clean up this type of mess so early in the morning and right after a nice breakfast.  So needless to say Megan was allowed to stay home that day.  But she was fine and well rested for school the next day. 

At the end of the month my kids had Spring Break?!...it is still a kinda of tricky thing for me to plan for and for the most part I don't.  This year it worked out that Spencer was busy the entire weekend and the weather was fairly nice so I decided to take a trip back home to visit with my Mom and Dad.  Thank goodness I have family in Calgary that I was able to stop over and visit as well to help break up the trip. 

We arrived in Cardston on the Saturday and it was raining...(just a side note...my dad just finished re-roofing his house in the late fall and then the weather turned wintery so he doesn't yet have eavestroughs) so this is the scene that we happened upon....


My kids got to visit with grandma and we went to the library which is really nice and big now, since I remember going there as a child, we went to Lethbridge for a day of swimming attended church on Sunday and hung out and got to play around with grandpa and "help" him in his shop.  Grandpa helped the kids make a "boat".  The weather was kinda rainy/snowy/cloudy.  We didn't last as long as we would have liked to, but lets face it, if you want to have fun during a spring break in Canada you have to leave Canada and go some place south and warm. 

Here is a picture of the snowman that we made after church on Sunday.  The snow was in perfect condition for making some snowmen.  The snow was so heavy and wet that it took two of us to lift the giant snowballs on top of each other. 


Here is grandpa giving free sled rides.


After a few days stay with grandma and grandpa we decided to head back home.  We made a stop at the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump on our way.  I haven't been there since I was a young child....it is still the same but this time I got to enjoy it with the patience and eyes as an adult.  Megan just finished up learning about Aboriginal people in Canada, so this was good for her as she could see and add to her recently acquired knowledge. 

 This is the sign that greets you.  The wind was blowing pretty strong that day and despite the sunny weather the temperature was rather cool.

 This is taken outside on the catwalk.  This is the actual cliff that the buffalo would be run down and then they would fall to thier death.  Some native people would have a camp set up a little further down so they could more easily skin the buffalo and prepare the meat etc.  This is a rather elabrate operation that would take months of planning.  This particular site is a Unesco World Heritage Site.  If you would like more information click here.

 This is what the inside of a Tee-Pee would have looked like.  Everything was portable but fairly comfortable. 

Here are some skulls from the buffalo. 


Here is our buffalo friend.  They are rather large heavy looking animals due to all the fur and the hump on thier back. 

After this stop we headed all the way home to edmonton....it was a long drive but Aaron slept for about 3 hours and woke up just outside of Red Deer so we decided to stop for an early dinner and potty break at Costco.  Then we continued home and got there around 9pm that night.  Wow, I can't believe that we did that.  The kids were really good troopers with the long drive.  I think that they were excited to be home again in comfortable and familiar surroundings.